I can’t give myself 100% credit for the article I’m about to write. The idea came from a conversation on the phone with a friend.
He’s fresh out of a long term marriage and just getting his feet wet in the dating world whereas I am an 8 year veteran to Single-Life-Hood.
I am a First Date Pro or at least I thought I was until he asked “what do you expect from a first date?”
His question caused me to pause in my conversation and think, “What do I want from a first date? What does anyone want from a first date?” This thought provoking question had me stumped!
Sure, I’ve made my list of the Do’s and Don’ts in a relationship, I even checked it twice (wink) but going into a First Date situation, what was I hoping to achieve from it?
What needs to happen during a First Date to lead to a second and third and forever with someone?
I conducted a consensus among my Single Female Friends and thought I would share this with my Single Life Guide Followers of the Male Stature.
Guys grab a pen and paper and take notes because I am about to reveal 5 First Date Expectations that just might help you land the girl your heart desires. Note I said HEART not ….
5 Things Women Expect On A First Date
- Treat us like Ladies – Show up with flowers, hold the car door open for us, pull the chair out for us at dinner. These little acts of chivalry make us feel like Princesses and you are the Knight in Shining Armour coming to take us away from all the big bad online dating world!
- Carry A Conversation – Ask us questions and get to know us. What a concept! You won’t be so nervous on your First Date if the spotlight is on us ladies and not you! Where to begin? How about her favourite color, favourite band, favourite movie, favourite food, hobbies and interests and so forth? Listen and learn, and the dating world will open new doors for you -bringing you closer to finding that long term relationship you desire.
- Set the Tone for a Physical Connection – There has to be a level of attraction to get the attention of your potential partner. Showing up to the date in your grubs, unshaven features (unless you’ve grown out your facial hair) and wearing a hat at the dinner table is a NO NO. If you don’t put a bit of effort into your appearance and mannerisms what does that say about how serious you are taking the date and in getting to know her? Girls love it when guys put in some effort because 99% of the time we take great care making sure we look good for you. Show the same respect in return!
- Do Not Expect Sex – Come on guys do I really need to explain this one further? It is absolutely disrespectful and rude to think a girl owes you anything but her time when you take her out on a date especially the FIRST ONE. This means no sexual innuendos, no perverse comments about our body parts and make sure you look us in the eyes when we are conversing don’t let them wander in an obvious way. Of course you can look but the key is not to let us know you are doing it! When the date ends a hug, handshake or kiss on the cheek is a respectful way to leave things nothing more. Expecting anything more only sets you up for rejection if she doesn’t feel the same connection you do. Let her DESIRE and WANT you by not giving into your sexual urges right away. Let her make the move on you!
- If You Want A Second Date…TELL HER – Guys, don’t play hard to get. Most women don’t want to be left hanging and the more you let her know she is on your mind the more she will warm up to you. Be persistent but not pushy or crazy-stalker like. After the First Date Ends send her a message within 24 hours letting her know you had a great time and would like to see her again. How hard is that?
There you have it Gentlemen, 5 Things to Consider to help meet the Expectations Ladies Have on a First Date. There are some great books out there to help you out as well. Here is one we recommend.